Posted: 10th June 2016 by tarheeltrains in Uncategorized
Tags: steam engines, Train Rides in NC
Ride the Handy Dandy RR and enjoy the Cowboy Show!
Daily Rides: every hour on the hour from 11:00-5:00
Ticket Prices: Adult (ages 12 & up)- $7.00, Child (ages 5-11)- $5.00, Child (4 & younger)-FREE
This Locomotive was built in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It is a 1942 0-4-0 switch engine built by Porter Locomotive Company. The Locomotive was located at Bethlehem Fairfield (Maryland) Shipyard; The United States Navy Shipyard in Norfolk, Virginia; PC Company #9 Old Dominion Iron and Steel Company, Richmond, Virginia and Echo Valley Park, and Swamp Rabbit Railroad, Greenville, South Carolina.
In 1980, it was sold to Denton FarmPark. It was restored by the Denton FarmPark staff and was made part of the Handy Dandy Railroad which rides tourists on the 1.5 mile track around the park every year during the Southeast Old Threshers’ Reunion at Denton FarmPark.
More at http://dentonfarmpark.com!
This locomotive has a rich history with Southern Railway and now sits on display at Tanglewood Park in Clemmons, NC. Kids AND adults enjoy climbing in and pretending to be an engineer!
Southern Railway #542: The locomotive was built by the Baldwin Locomotive Works in 1903. This 2-8-0 Consolidation operated in North Carolina on the Southern Railway around Statesville and Winston-Salem. Repairs were performed at Spencer Shops. Similar class 2-8-0 locomotives were extensively used by the Southern for local freight trains throughout the entire system. In North Carolina they were found from Raleigh to Asheville. Southern owned only 90 of this rare J class locomotive, and the 542 is the sole remaining example. In 1954 the Southern donated the locomotive to Tanglewood Park, near Clemmons, NC. A trade was made in 1991 using the ex-Illinois Central 0-8-0 1894 to obtain the 542 for the museum. It was cosmetically restored for use in the Leatherheads movie as #604 during 2008. The locomotive has now been restored to it’s original numbering, restored with its original coal tender and is regularly on display.